From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: ppc@g.o, gentoo-powerpc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Goodbye Java on ppc32?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:44:34
1 On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 23:10:43 +0000
2 James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm mulling over the idea of dropping Java on 32-bit ppc. Having
5 > personally used Gentoo on this hardware myself in the past, I've
6 > resisted the temptation to drop it sooner but I think it's time to
7 > throw in the towel now.
8
9 Since there hasn't been an outcry against this announcement so far, it's
10 likely that I will proceed with it at the weekend.
11
12 > There are probably some packages that aren't typically associated with
13 > Java that will be affected by this. I haven't made a list but I
14 > suspect it doesn't contain anything majorly important. Thankfully
15 > LibreOffice no longer has a hard dependency on Java.
16
17 The list of casualties can now be seen in:
18 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/638
19
20 Other than some fairly obvious ones like Vuze and Tomcat, there aren't
21 really any packages that I would consider majorly important being
22 dropped. mysql-workbench is in the list but the latest ebuild has been
23 adjusted to not depend on Java.
26 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
27 Gentoo Linux Developer