From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help w/Install
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 07:15:53
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 10:15:23PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
4 > :
5 > : The current CD doesn't use devfs by default, but it is supported. Also note
6 > : that we haven't actually tested Gentoo Linux on a laptop yet -- and PCMCIA
7 > : support doesn't exist yet. Is that something you'd be interested in fixing?
8 >
9 > Actually, we have tested it against a laptop. This is the machine I've
10 > been using all along. I just haven't had any time to make clean
11 > portages of the laptop utilities.
12
13 I have an Compaq Armada laptop here with a defect display, maybe I can
14 use it with an external monitor
15 to test gentoo agains it and build a pcmcia-utils package.
16
17 Jerry if you have problems with the kernel, you can build your own
18 during installation, it's documented in the
19 install guide.
22 > : Yes, it's possible to install rc3 and bring it up-to-date -- if you're careful.
23 > : cvs.gentoo.org is an updated rc3 system, but, err... I'd wait for rc4 if you
24 > : can. Actually, it'll be called rc5 since there have been so many improvements
25 > : in the last two months. :))
26 > :
27 > : Sorry that I don't have a distribution ready for you, but we will soon. For
28 > : now, if you want a distro on your laptop, I'd recommend installing a
29 >
30 > I understand. Two things. First, I'm worried that I may not get
31 > another two/three day break which I can spend reconfiguring this machine
32 > for a while. Second, I'm impatient. 8)
33
34 I can build you a current sys.tbz2 today if that helps.
35
36 achim~
39 > --Jerry
40 >
41 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
42 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
43 > email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
44 > || than that!
47 > gentoo-dev mailing list
48 > gentoo-dev@g.o