From: Joshua Jackson <tsunam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:11:56
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:57:39 +0200
3 > Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Funnily enough... If we're going by PMS drafts, that's illegal
6 >>> whereas multiple suffixes are legal. PMS permits multiple suffixes,
7 >>> but limits any individual version component to eight digits to avoid
8 >>> problems with integer overflows, floating point precision etc.
9 >>>
10 >> And when PMS specifies that together with a proper way to compare
11 >> multiple suffixes there will be no problem.
14 > PMS *does* specify a proper way of comparing multiple version suffixes
15 > (and version specs with a leading zero for that matter). I'm not
16 > particularly happy with the wording, but as far as I can see the
17 > description is at least correct, even if it isn't clear.
20 Alright guys,
21
22 This is enough. PMS is a work in progress its not going to cover
23 everything that users and developers are going to be in some cases
24 boneheaded enough to actually pull off (always have edge conditions).
25 We're continuing to downgrade here and quite frankly the discussions
26 seem be getting into tangents more then the actual topic at hand (you
27 know...the fact about what the proper suffix format is), and that is up
28 to the council to decide. If you have issues with the council, bring it
29 up in the proper channel, as others have mentioned where its at.
32 Now either get it back on topic, take it to private emails to discuss
33 between yourselves, or take up the issues that relate to the council, to
34 the councils mailing-list/members. They are actually you know...alive
35 and willing to talk to you.
36
37 Annoyed proctor out