From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:20:55
1 On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:57:39 +0200
2 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Funnily enough... If we're going by PMS drafts, that's illegal
4 > > whereas multiple suffixes are legal. PMS permits multiple suffixes,
5 > > but limits any individual version component to eight digits to avoid
6 > > problems with integer overflows, floating point precision etc.
7 >
8 > And when PMS specifies that together with a proper way to compare
9 > multiple suffixes there will be no problem.
10
11 PMS *does* specify a proper way of comparing multiple version suffixes
12 (and version specs with a leading zero for that matter). I'm not
13 particularly happy with the wording, but as far as I can see the
14 description is at least correct, even if it isn't clear.
17 Ciaran McCreesh