From: Peter Ruskin <aoyu93@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic menus?
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:46:50
1 Why??
2 Whenever I install Mandrake the first thing I do is disable its menu
3 system. It's ugly and IMHO unnecessary. KDE has a pretty good menu
4 system of its own as has gnome.
7 On Wednesday 24 Jul 2002 16:08, Tom Philbrick wrote:
8 > Searching the mailing list archives, I see that back in April someone
9 > asked about automatic menus. One reply said that it was already being
10 > worked on, while others said the opposite. Is anyone currently working
11 > on an automatic menu system for gentoo, and if so, what is its status?
12 >
13 > I ask because I am in the process of porting the debian menu system
14 > over to gentoo, but I realized I should stop and see if it is worth the
15 > effort. I have the program working as far as I can tell, although I
16 > haven't done much testing yet. It still needs a lot of work, but most
17 > of that is tailoring it to gentoo rather than debian (rewriting
18 > documentation, and making my hacks less of a hack). The build isn't
19 > pretty, I see now why debian is not a source distro, but it works for
20 > now and I'm working on cleaning it up.
21 >
22 > For those of you that have never used debian (or mandrake, as menudrake
23 > uses the debian menu system under the hood) you can read a good
24 > overview of it at:
25 > http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/index.html For
26 > the system to work, it would require that every package that wants to
27 > use a menu must install a menu-method that describes how to generate a
28 > menu for that program (these can me borrowed from debian, or written
29 > from scratch). It also would require that every application that wanted
30 > to be in a menu include a simple menu file that describes what the menu
31 > entry should be. Yes that means a lot of packages would need to be
32 > updated, but the menufiles take about 30 seconds to write, and are
33 > simple enough for anyone to do.
34 >
35 > So what should I do? Post a new package bug now? Wait until it is
36 > completely done? Wait until a better time? Give up in favor of a more
37 > mature, or better, solution?
38 >
39 > -Tom Philbrick
41 > gentoo-dev mailing list