From: Tom Philbrick <tom@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Automatic menus?
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:08:07
1 Searching the mailing list archives, I see that back in April someone
2 asked about automatic menus. One reply said that it was already being
3 worked on, while others said the opposite. Is anyone currently working
4 on an automatic menu system for gentoo, and if so, what is its status?
5
6 I ask because I am in the process of porting the debian menu system over
7 to gentoo, but I realized I should stop and see if it is worth the
8 effort. I have the program working as far as I can tell, although I
9 haven't done much testing yet. It still needs a lot of work, but most of
10 that is tailoring it to gentoo rather than debian (rewriting
11 documentation, and making my hacks less of a hack). The build isn't
12 pretty, I see now why debian is not a source distro, but it works for
13 now and I'm working on cleaning it up.
14
15 For those of you that have never used debian (or mandrake, as menudrake
16 uses the debian menu system under the hood) you can read a good overview
17 of it at: http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/index.html
18 For the system to work, it would require that every package that wants
19 to use a menu must install a menu-method that describes how to generate
20 a menu for that program (these can me borrowed from debian, or written
21 from scratch). It also would require that every application that wanted
22 to be in a menu include a simple menu file that describes what the menu
23 entry should be. Yes that means a lot of packages would need to be
24 updated, but the menufiles take about 30 seconds to write, and are
25 simple enough for anyone to do.
26
27 So what should I do? Post a new package bug now? Wait until it is
28 completely done? Wait until a better time? Give up in favor of a more
29 mature, or better, solution?
30
31 -Tom Philbrick