From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Small irritation: Can people please stop sending their posts in duplicate...
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:59:53
1 D. Wokan wrote:
2 > Stuart Longland wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi All,
5 >> Sorry for the noise... but a number of people have started sending to
6 >> ${LIST}@gentoo.org, CCing to ${LIST}@lists.gentoo.org -- resulting in
7 >> duplicate emails being sent to this end.
8 >>
9 >> If possible, can people kindly pick one, or the other -- and not
10 >> both?
13 > The problem is in the lack of standardization between mailing lists.
14 > I've gotten used to just hitting reply-all instead of just reply because
15 > a number of lists I'm on don't set the reply-to header like the Gentoo
16 > lists do. The first time I saw the too addresses in my recipients, I
17 > thought maybe one was some kind of backup list system, but then I saw my
18 > reply double-posted.
19
20 Agreed. Most do set the List-ID header -- looking at your email headers
21 here -- I see the following...
22
23 > List-Post: <mailto:gentoo-dev@g.o>
24 > List-Help: <mailto:gentoo-dev+help@g.o>
26 > List-Subscribe: <mailto:gentoo-dev+subscribe@g.o>
27 > List-Id: Gentoo Linux mail <gentoo-dev.gentoo.org>
28
29 ...and some email clients (KMail comes to mind) are even able to
30 directly use this information. Some for instance provide Unsubscribe
31 and Reply-To-Post buttons. Unfortunately Thunderbird (the mail client I
32 use most of the time) doesn't have these features.
33
34 (I'm tempted to do some maildrop/xfilter/perl magic to emulate these
35 features though)
36
37 > I'll try to keep an eye on what's going on in each list that I reply to,
38 > but I don't think this is really going to be solved until someone
39 > hammers an RFC on it down the Internet's throat. (But even that may not
40 > be enough. After all, Outlook Express never did use dash, dash, space
41 > to start a signature.)
42
43 Knowing Microsoft... they'll probably implement the bits they like...
44 tack on their own extensions and completely ignore the rest of it.
45 (Embrace, Extend & Break) Which is unfortunate for its users.
46
47 However, so long as we don't completely break those clients (i.e. it's
48 still usable) then all should be fine.
52 | Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
53 | Atomic Linux Project -oOo- http://atomicl.berlios.de |
55 | I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |