From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 07:06:56
1 On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 07:29:22PM -0800, Greg KH wrote
2
3 > But, along those lines, what is the goal of the fork? What are you
4 > trying to attempt to do with a fork of udev that could not be
5 > accomplished by:
6 > - getting patches approved upstream
7 > or:
8 > - keeping a simple set of patches outside of the upstream tree and
9 > applying them to each release
10
11 That approach would be viable if upstream were co-operative or gave a
12 damn about anybody else. They've broken people's sytems with the "new
13 and improved" udev, and claimed that people's systems were already
14 broken. Kay Sievers got Linus angry enough to go on a rant. See
15 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/484
16
17 > So now, after you've dismissed the patch that did the equivalent
18 > fix in udev (Ming Lei's patch basically disabled your idiotic and
19 > wrong sequence number test for firmware loading), you say it's ok
20 > to bypass udev entirely, because that is "more robust".
21 >
22 > Kay, you are so full of sh*t that it's not funny. You're refusing
23 > to acknowledge your bugs, you refuse to fix them even when a patch
24 > is sent to you, and then you make excuses for the fact that we have
25 > to work around *your* bugs, and say that we should have done so from
26 > the very beginning.
27 >
28 > Yes, doing it in the kernel is "more robust". But don't play games,
29 > and stop the lying. It's more robust because we have maintainers that
30 > care, and because we know that regressions are not something we can
31 > play fast and loose with. If something breaks, and we don't know what
32 > the right fix for that breakage is, we *revert* the thing that broke.
33 >
34 > So yes, we're clearly better off doing it in the kernel.
35 >
36 > Not because firmware loading cannot be done in user space. But simply
37 > because udev maintenance since Greg gave it up has gone downhill.
38
39 And as for Gentoo expecting co-operation, see Lennart's attitude
40 http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2009-June/023434.html
41 > If you don't do RT development or doing
42 > RT development only for embedded cases, or if you are a
43 > Gentoo-Build-It-All-Myself-Because-It-Is-So-Much-Faster-And-Need-To-Reinvent-The-Wheel-Daily-And-Configurating-Things-Is-Awesome-Guy
44 > then it doesn't mean anything for you.
45
46 In short, the systemd-udev people are hard to work with in general,
47 and have a dislike for Gentoo. Good luck with getting patches accepted
48 by them.
49
50 > Oh, and if _anyone_ thinks that changing udev is going to "solve" the
51 > "no separate /usr without an initrd" issue, I have a bridge I want to
52 > sell them.
53
54 If udev-systemd merely broke a filesystem layout that functioned very
55 well in linux for 2 decades, you would not be seeing this rebellion.
56 udev-systemd is also breaking media drivers. The entire thread
57 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/194 gives an idea of just how badly Kay
58 has screwed up udev. You participated in that thread.
59
60 > I understand the bizarre need of some people to want to build the udev
61 > binary without the build-time dependencies that systemd requires, but
62 > surely that is a set of simple Makefile patches, right?
63
64 Wrong. You're assuming that Sievers/Poettering would allow that.
65 They've made no secret of their disdain of standalone udev. Everybody
66 has seen Poettering's post...
67 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
68 > (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case
69 > you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we
70 > can drop that support entirely.)
71
72 How many people have read Siever's post?
73 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-July/006065.html
74 > We promised to keep udev properly *running* as standalone, we never
75 > told that it can be *build* standalone. And that still stands.
76 >
77 > We never claimed, that all the surrounding things like documentation
78 > always fully match, if only udev is picked out of systemd.
79 >
80 > I would welcome if people stop reading that "promise" into the
81 > announcement, it just wasn't written there.
82
83 You (the former udev maintainer) are saying that a standalone udev
84 *WITHOUT SYSTEMD* will always be possible. The current maintainer is
85 saying that isn't necessarily true. Who do you expect me to believe?
86
87 You also wrote...
88
89 > And is something that small really worth ripping tons of code out of
90 > a working udev, causing major regressions on people's boxes (and yes,
91 > it is a regression to slow my boot time down and cause hundreds of
92 > more processes to be spawned before booting is finished.)
93
94 Some people are finding firmware drivers not loading, and the cards
95 not functioning. Don't you consider that a regression? Seiver's
96 response is basically the same as for people with separate /usr; telling
97 them that they have to re-write their drivers to accomadate the "new and
98 improved" udev. And people whose drivers don't fail entirely now get a
99 60-second delay while udev times out before loading the firmware in
100 another manner. Those people have seen their bootup times increased by
101 a full minute. Do you not consider that a regression?
102
103 > As I posted elsewhere, working on a project based on "hate" only lasts
104 > so long. I should know, that's the reason I started udev in the first
105 > place over 9 years ago.
106
107 The Xfree86 people generated a lot of hate, just like Sievers and
108 Poettering. Xorg hasn't burned out yet.
109
110 > You need to have a real solid goal in place in order to be able to keep
111 > this up in the long-run. Otherwise you are going to burn yourself out,
112 > and end up alienating a lot of people along the way.
113
114 Howsabout a standalone udev, with no dependancies on systemd, and it
115 won't break people's systems?
118 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
119 We are apparently better off trying to avoid udev like the plague.
120 Linus Torvalds; 2012/10/03 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/349