From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Soliciting input for a non-maintainer update (NMU) GLEP
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 23:40:04
1 On Friday 21 June 2013 14:50:54 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > From what I've read on the list recently, there's a lot of demand for
3 > non-maintainer updates to ebuilds. Esp. with the upcoming Git migration,
4 > I predict there will be a much larger influx of changes from users.
5
6 seems like we're somewhat approaching it the wrong way around. our tooling
7 sucks -- bugzilla is not the proper medium for gating ebuild contributions.
8 something like gerrit would make things flow a lot more smoothly imo. i've
9 been doing more workflow along the lines of:
10 - dev/user posts patch to bugzilla
11 - click "edit attachment as comment"
12 - do patch review like a standard mailing list
13 - dev/user posts updated patch
14 - for a dev, i'll usually finish with "feel free to commit". for a user, i'll
15 commit it at some point (same for devs if i happen to be digging around).
16
17 if i do the commit, it's a pita:
18 - ssh to a system that has commit access (assuming i'm in a location where
19 this is possible, otherwise it'll have to wait)
20 - open up the bug in a browser
21 - find & download the attached patch
22 - apply it and sort out any conflicts
23 - run `repoman commit`
24 - update the bug
25
26 with gerrit and git, this process could be turned into me clicking "submit" in
27 the web interface (gerrit also has a ssh command line interface for doing
28 things). would be easy to add a `repoman upload` that'd take care of making
29 the commit, regenerating things (Manifest/etc...), and then uploading it to
30 gerrit.
31 -mike