From: Geert Bevin <gbevin@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: AW: AW: [gentoo-dev] USE database?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 04:13:15
1 On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 11:02, Sebastian Werner wrote:
2 > GConf for example don't depend on so many libs. I think the only not
3 > system-lib is glib. But this lib is used also by env-update. So no big
4 > problem. Good, the rescue Problem I agree. But it is much faster. Really
5
6 Does it? To my knowledge env-update relies on nothing else but bash and
7 python, note that this it a statically compiled version of python which
8 doesn't need any system libs. Maybe I'm overlooking something though.
9
10 > cool could it be to store all settings from /etc in binary files. But
11 > that is not your way and not very fsh-compatible - I know. But it could
12 > be a general idea. I don't like to have 100 files which don't follow the
13 > same style. This is not very user-friendly.
14
15 How could you possible unify the style of all the configuration files?
16 This means that you'd have to track all the config formats of all
17 libraries and applications together with their options and write a
18 unified wrapper interface on top of them. I really can't see the benefit
19 of that, and I don't dare to imagine the sheer nightmare of trying to
20 maintain and update this.
21
22 > Some other idea is to use the sheme of ksyscoca (like KDE-2.2). It reads
23 > text files and builds a binary cache.
24 >
25 > Sebastian
26 --
27 Geert Bevin
28 the Leaf sprl/bvba
29 "Use what you need" Pierre Theunisstraat 1/47
30 http://www.theleaf.be 1030 Brussels
31 gbevin@×××××××.be Tel & Fax +32 2 241 19 98