From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help offered - Portage tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 04:02:02
1 On 3/12/08, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:57:29AM +0100, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
3 > > So, to sum up, if we can build a better communication way it could be
4 > > useful for both sides.
5
6 I'm going to steal robin's issue summary ;)
9 > - "Most of the Gentoo ebuilds don't have the two lists split"
10
11 Did we ever set RDEPEND=DEPEND or vice versa automatically? Maybe it
12 never went into EAPI=0. In either case I'm sure most maintainers
13 would appreciate feedback in this area.
16 > - "There are TOO MANY USE flags while instead packages SHOULD BE split"
17
18 So I would be willing to challenge the age old assertion that robin
19 mentioned. The historical problem is that users need to be able to
20 find shit. The easiest way for them to do so is for us to use the
21 same names as upstream.
22
23 mysql is just mysql; it isn't mysql-server, it isn't mysql-server-5,
24 it isn't mysql-client-yourmom. It is just mysql.
25
26 So a bigger problem for you is that you want 2 packages really. 1
27 client and 1 server. THe only way to do that now is to build mysql
28 twice and the existing binpkg format doesn't let you do that?
31 > - "Localizations should be split too"
32
33 As robin stated this is really more of an upstream problem. I really
34 don't see why we can't design software that just loads localization
35 shit at runtime.
36
37 Maybe some eselect-localization thing could be used to help fetch
38 extra languages; certainly I think rebuilding the entire package to
39 add languages is BS.
40
41 We could have eselect parse the DEPEND string and LINGUAS to try and
42 figure out what languages a package supports and installing new
43 languages would just be eselect-localization CPV +/-lang.
44
45 Of course I know jack shit about localization so maybe someone who
46 knows more can comment ;)
47
48 -Alec
49 --