From: Ian Delaney <idella4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC/announcement] Reviewers project
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 08:01:44
1 On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:27:15 +0200
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 10:09:11 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Hello, developers.
8 > >
9 > > I have the pleasure
10
11 :?
12
13 > > to announce that we have formed a new Reviewers
14 > > team [1] for Gentoo. The team is going to assemble developers
15 > > willing to perform ebuild reviews and help contributors improve
16 > > their ebuild skills.
17 > >
18 > > The main goal of the team is to handle GitHub pull requests. We are
19 > > going to review incoming PRs, communicate with maintainers and merge
20 > > them as appropriate. In particular, we're going to help willing
21 > > contributors get high-quality, PGP-signed commits into Gentoo,
22 > > therefore helping them prepare to become Gentoo developers.
23 >
24 > This is cool
25 >
26 > > The side goal is to review current Gentoo commits for major QA
27 > > violations and other issues, aiming at improving the quality of
28 > > ebuilds in Gentoo and helping other developers using bash, ebuilds
29 > > and git effectively.
30 >
31 > This is completely unrelated: since we've had gentoo-commits ml,
32
33 which was promptly utlised
34
35 > every one has been able to do commit reviews easily, and most devs
36 > have done so. Self-proclamed reviewers project certainly does not
37 > have the monopoly of best practices nor perfect knowledge. I hope
38 > they do keep the monopoly of being harassing though :)
39 >
40 > Also, you should probably focus on what's really important: reviews
41 > like "this is weird, care to explain?" or stylistic nitpicks are just
42 > a waste of every one time, meaning more important stuff does not get
43 > done.
46 To my observation the reaction to this has been between displeasure and
47 dismay. Yesterday the dev-ML was flooded with the first day's
48 publication of the members' reviews. Firstly the gentoo-commits ML to my
49 understanding is intended to be used for and by qa members. This
50 project has one whom we presume has the discretion to declare the use
51 of the qa hat at whim.
52
53 As someone once put it, it's not the product or message it's the
54 delivery of the package. This project in its creation is made of self
55 appointed members who assume the status and qualification to suddenly
56 launch their evaluations upon unsuspecting folk the community wide with
57 neither warning nor their prior knowledge nor consent. The editing
58 to the page illustrates already significant back pedalling from feedback
59 already challenging its selected mode of delivery.
60
61 The project goals and 'would be' mission statement are in fact
62 legitimate and have the backing of Council members. The execution has
63 been done independently, unilaterally and with no input or collaboration
64 with Council to my knowledge. The actions of this project potentially
65 impact on every developer / user of the gentoo project, addressing the
66 core skills of both. Yet it has been made, announced and executed in
67 this style.
68
69 I invested study time in several units in teaching and lecturing in my
70 university education under the education department. Sorry but the
71 modi operandi by these self proclaimed teachers and educators thus far
72 violate almost every fundamental principle in the art of teaching that
73 I learned from the course. There have also been users who have
74 expressed concern to me over this directly, some of which have
75 indicated they will also email this list to make their views known.
79 kind regards
80
81 Ian Delaney