From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] media-libs/libpng cleanup
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 07:52:49
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:18:25 +0200
3 Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o> wrote:
4
6 > Hash: SHA1
7 >
8 > Hi everyone,
9 >
10 > As part of the resolution of the libpng vulnerability (bug #49887) we
11 > propose to clean up old libpng versions, including all 1.0.* versions.
12 > Since this package doesn't seem to have a maintainer (please correct
13 > me if I am wrong here), I prefer to double-check with everyone this
14 > won't break anything.
15 >
16 > Background :
17 > Historically (back in 2002), libpng was slotted as "1.0" and "1.2" in
18 > order to prevent revdep-rebuilding all packages when libpng hit 1.2.
19 > Today, no package in portage specifically requires 1.0.* and most
20 > packages specifically require >=1.2.0.
21 >
22 > If someone thinks it will break something, please speak now. If I was
23 > wrong assuming this package had no maintainer and you're the man (or
24 > woman), please show up :)
25 >
26 > Thanks in advance,
29 I'm probably as much a maintainer as that package gets, mostly due to me
30 and seemant being the ones who've been forced to deal with it when it
31 breaks. *cough*
32
33 It might cause issues, but 1.0 should really be going->gone and has been
34 slated that way for ages, mostly due to the binary-incompatible headache
35 it gave us.
36
37 If you get 1.0 gone and out, I'll love you for it. Take it out into the
38 yard and shoot it, then bury it and sing praise, it did serve well.. a
39 couple of years ago. ;)
42 as for breakage, people with -old- systems are likely to experience
43 headaches from it dissapearing, however, those systems are already so
44 old they probably have headaches already. Its a simple rebuild-to-fix
45 and unless they start updating there won't be an issue since 1.0 won't
46 dissapear from their machines overnight.
49 //Spider
53 begin .signature
54 Tortured users / Laughing in pain
56 end