From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:53:30
1 On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:04, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Thursday 28 August 2003 13:15, foser wrote:
6 > >
7 > > To sum it up : everything non-console.
8 >
9 > No, also console applications like pine and mutt will probably considered
10 > desktop applications. Basically there will be a partition of all ebuilds into
11 > probably (we are not ready with it yet): -desktop, -base, -server and
12 > - -toolkit
13
14 Those 3 or 4 cursed/console apps vs. all GUI or all non-enduser console
15 apps, big point to bring up.
16
17 'Op alle slakken zout leggen' in ye olde dutch. You shouldn't be pushing
18 to define everything on every level, i thought that was what this whole
19 TLP thing was good for. Better to have them just handled by some mail
20 group or irc group, we're getting into the herds realm here. Pine is
21 part of net-mail herd (or something), that is part of TLP Desktop i
22 assume. So in the end we're on the same line. Getting into details
23 again. Who brought this up.
24
25 > Of these -toolkit is the most vague but it basically includes things like
26 > libxml, various programming languages (not gcc which is part of -base),
27 > tcl/tk and other packages that enduser packages build upon. I know there will
28 > be some tough judgements with certain packages but desktop basically includes
29 > those packages that someone uses when using the computer as
30 > desktop/workstation and has nothing to do with socalled desktop environments
31 > as kde and gnome
32
33 I don't know if this is all a good idea, this will result in herds
34 maintaining packages for different TLP or in case this isn't allowed in
35 herds not maintaining packages they have always maintained or are the
36 major users of. TLP's concerning ebuild groups (as mentioned above
37 -base, -server, etc) should be defined by control over herds, not over
38 individual packages.
39
40 - foser
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list