From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:42:48
1 On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 03:32:04AM +0100, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 December 2005 03:11, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Either way, still not totally following your complaint, thus an actual
4 > > example would help (easiest to assume I'm a moron, and start at that
5 > > level of explanation).
6 >
7 > O.k.
8 >
9 > 1. You have KDE 3.4 and Digikam (version doesn't matter) installed
10 > 2. You update to KDE 3.5
11 >
12 > What you now have is the following: KDE 3.5 works fine and Digikam as well,
13 > just that it uses KDE 3.4 libs. But what happens: A Digikam update (or you
14 > rebuild for whatever reason). You emerge it (against KDE 3.5), but its
15 > dependencies (libkipi, libkexif ) are still built against kdelibs 3.4. The
16 > result is that compiling Digikam fails. You need to rebuild these
17 > dependencies and every other ebuild depending n those against KDE 3.5. And
18 > Portage should do that transparently.
19 >
20 > For now I have written slot_rebuild() which detects the problem at least and
21 > provides the user with the information what to do, but it's dead ugly.
22
23 The version of digikam being merged requires slot=3.5- it should be
24 depending on libk* slot=3.5, also, no?
25
26 As long as the information is represented dependency wise, portage
27 should be able to handle it fine. Just need to have that info there.
28
29 If an ebuild dep/rdeps via || (), then we're getting into whether or
30 not portage should be filtering || () down to the selected atom...
31 ~harring