From: "M. Edward Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-science] app-sci is 180, split in order?
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:29:39
1 On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 19:09, George Shapovalov wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > Some stuff may be moved from elsewhere. For example dev-lang/R may be better
6 > suited for sci-stat, as this is essentially data-analysis package (I know
7 > people look for it under app-sci when I tell them there is such a thing. And,
8 > btw, search does not quite work in that particular case, its just one latter
9 > which is also uppercase :)).
10 >
11 > Would that be all or did I forget something? 5 categories would give us 35-40
12 > packages per cat, so there is even some room for expansion. There are ~100
13 > more packages fresh sitting in bugzilla, but I think we will only be able to
14 > realistically deal with them after we get some more devs onto sci herd (see
15 > my other todays message to gentoo-science).
16 >
17 > George
18
19 Well ... I hate to say again, "Debian does it thusly" :). Debian has a
20 "science" and a "math" main category. R is in math, as are many of the
21 packages in "app-sci" -- octave, yacas and maxima, for example. So I
22 would put the "pure math" packages in one group and the scientific
23 applications in another. And yes, I'd move R into the math group and out
24 of the language group, even though it *is* a language. LISP is a
25 language, and all of the LISP interpreters/compilers are in "dev-lisp".
26
27 By the way, I wish I had the free time to join the "sci" herd. I just
28 have too many other irons in the fire to devote the kind of time to it
29 that it would require. I do spend a fair amount of time testing bleeding
30 edge software, so at least you'll get bug reports and info from upstream
31 mailing lists from me. :)
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list