From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] app-sci is 180, split in order?
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:09:44
1 Hi guys.
2
3 I tried to count how many packages we already have in sci for that previous
4 message (recruiting new devs) and realized we are at 180 solely in app-sci
5 already. So, should we split this? I envision something along these lines:
6
7 sci-stat statistics, data analysis
8 sci-simu simulations, MD, Monte Carlo, etc.
9 sci-hpc high performance computing, clustering
10 sci-libs well, libs essentially
11 sci-misc everything else
12
13 possible other if they warrant a separate category
14 sci-linalg linear algebra packages, kind of covered by sci-libs for most
15 sci-symbolic symbolic algebra stuff, again, does not seem to be that many of
16 these so that hey wouldn't fit into sci-misc..
17
18 Some stuff may be moved from elsewhere. For example dev-lang/R may be better
19 suited for sci-stat, as this is essentially data-analysis package (I know
20 people look for it under app-sci when I tell them there is such a thing. And,
21 btw, search does not quite work in that particular case, its just one latter
22 which is also uppercase :)).
23
24 Would that be all or did I forget something? 5 categories would give us 35-40
25 packages per cat, so there is even some room for expansion. There are ~100
26 more packages fresh sitting in bugzilla, but I think we will only be able to
27 realistically deal with them after we get some more devs onto sci herd (see
28 my other todays message to gentoo-science).
29
30 George
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list