From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 05:08:11
1 On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:49:48PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > > Also, there is a substantial number of packages which contain only python
3 > > code (or perl, ruby), or only LaTeX classes, or only documentation. It
4 > > makes no sense to test them on each arch separately. I think maintainers
5 > > should be allowed to stabilize such packages (with no compiled code) on
6 > > all arches.
7 > There is a reason we don't do this, back in Gentoo history somewhere, but I
8 > don't remember what it was.
9 >
10 > If someone can tell us why this isn't allowed I am all ears. Otherwise,
11 > I could agree on this point as well.
12 I vaguely recall an example of some non-compiled Perl code that wasn't
13 portable over architectures.
14
15 However I feel that should really be the exception, not the general
16 case.
19 Robin Hugh Johnson
20 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
21 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
22 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85