From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 15:40:54
1 On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 5:44 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > At least for QA this is quite an oversimplified description of the
4 > team's role. Quoting GLEP 48, first bullet point of the specification:
5 > "The QA team's purpose is to provide cross-team assistance in keeping
6 > the tree in a good state. This is done primarily by finding and
7 > pointing out issues to maintainers and, where necessary, taking direct
8 > action."
11 I would suggest that if for whatever reason we do want to impose
12 further restrictions on Comrel membership, that we consider that these
13 may not be as necessary for QA membership.
14
15 A key difference between the two groups is that as far as I'm aware
16 all QA actions are completely public. If there is an issue everybody
17 can see that it exists, and take whatever action needed to correct it.
18
19 With Comrel there is more of a need to trust the individuals involved,
20 since the proceedings are not as transparent.
21
22 One thing I would suggest doing in general is to apply the same rules
23 to the Comrel lead as to the QA lead:
24
25 * The QA team is directed by a lead, chosen yearly by private or
26 public election among the members of the team, and confirmed by the
27 council. The QA team lead can choose one member as a deputy. The
28 deputy has all of his powers directly delegated from the QA team lead
29 and thus his actions and decisions should be considered equal to those
30 of the QA team lead. The deputy is directly responsible only to the QA
31 team lead.
32
33 * The QA lead's term expires one year after confirmation, and during
34 any period that the position is vacant the council may appoint an
35 interim lead.
38 Applying the same rules to Comrel would give it a bit more of a
39 mandate, though if the goal is some kind of independence from the
40 Council this policy would in fact reduce it. I personally don't like
41 having multiple leadership teams in Gentoo that do not have any kind
42 of hierarchy, because it can lead to sustained conflict. So, given a
43 choice of a directly-elected Comrel or a Comrel appointed by Council
44 I'd prefer the latter.
45
46 Part of me wonders if a lot of this debate is really a proxy for a
47 different debate: whether Comrel ought to be more or less active. If
48 you're a fan of Comrel being less active then you'd want a Comrel and
49 Council that largely disagreed, because it meant that any action taken
50 by the one would probably be undone by the other, and to the degree
51 that members of one can't serve on the other causes manpower issues,
52 so much the better. If you're a fan of Comrel being more active then
53 you'd want to ensure that only seriously flawed actions get undone,
54 and you would want to ensure that Comrel is well-manned.
55
56 Finally, I'd just like to note that as far as I'm aware there have
57 only been two appeals of Comrel decisions in the time I served on the
58 council (a number of years) and in both cases the decisions were
59 upheld despite all Comrel members recusing themselves from votes.
60 Comrel actions historically have been rare, and recusal vs non-recusal
61 wouldn't have made any difference (to do so the Comrel members would
62 have had to have voted against the previous Comrel decisions). That
63 isn't necessarily a reason to not have this discussion, but IMO in
64 practice this hasn't been much of a historical problem.
67 Rich