From: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating multiple "installations" on the same host
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:29:36
1 %% Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> writes:
2
3 js> In ebuilds you'll find DEPEND, RDEPEND and PDEPEND. DEPEND is
4 js> build time dependencies and must always be satisfied by packages
5 js> installed on the "/" file system. RDEPEND on the other hand is
6 js> run-time dependencies and must be satisfied on the root
7 js> filesystem. PDEPEND is a special form of RDEPEND.
8
9 Hm. I see the distinction you're trying to make here. Is this in any
10 way related to the setting of ROOT, or is it orthogonal?
11
12 Are these supersets of each other or can they be disjoint? In other
13 words, if I have a library package contains header files, which are
14 build time dependencies, and shared libraries, which are both build and
15 runtime dependencies, should I declare both DEPEND and RDEPEND?
16
17 In the above example that package is a DEPEND... but it will be
18 installed under ROOT, not under /.
19
20 Maybe I'm conflating two unrelated features.
21
22 js> I must have missed that one too, but I can't seem to find anything
23 js> from you in my archives...
24
25 My outbox has:
26
27 > From psmith Thu Feb 12 13:00:58 -0500 2004
28 > Message-ID: <16427.48986.501829.428875@×××××××××××××××××××××××××××.com>
29 > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:00:58 -0500
30 > To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
31 > Subject: Portage choosing wrong version?
32
33 for example.
37 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××××××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
38 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
40 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list