From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating multiple "installations" on the same host
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:33:21
1 On Tuesday 23 March 2004 22:28, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > %% Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > js> In ebuilds you'll find DEPEND, RDEPEND and PDEPEND. DEPEND is
5 > js> build time dependencies and must always be satisfied by packages
6 > js> installed on the "/" file system. RDEPEND on the other hand is
7 > js> run-time dependencies and must be satisfied on the root
8 > js> filesystem. PDEPEND is a special form of RDEPEND.
9 >
10 > Hm. I see the distinction you're trying to make here. Is this in any
11 > way related to the setting of ROOT, or is it orthogonal?
12 >
13 > Are these supersets of each other or can they be disjoint? In other
14 > words, if I have a library package contains header files, which are
15 > build time dependencies, and shared libraries, which are both build and
16 > runtime dependencies, should I declare both DEPEND and RDEPEND?
17
18 Yes.
21 > In the above example that package is a DEPEND... but it will be
22 > installed under ROOT, not under /.
23
24 If it is not in RDEPEND (which most compiletime dependencies are with the
25 exception of things like autoconf/automake etc.) that is a bug and should be
26 filed.
27
28 Paul
31 Paul de Vrieze