From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:40:41
1 Rich Freeman posted on Tue, 29 May 2012 21:55:04 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > So, what is the big issue? Is there something not being tracked, or is
4 > one of those items a lot harder than it looks?
5
6 I'd suggest that it's like openrc stabilization. The biggest problem
7 with it is that it's a BIG job, and the simplest solution is to simply
8 have someone commit to it, with full council *priority* backing, and push
9 and push until it's done.
10
11 There *is* one huge don't-do-it-that-way lesson to take from the openrc
12 stabilization, tho: Get the documentation in place BEFORE "throwing the
13 switch". I'm still not sure what happened with openrc. The
14 documentation bug was a blocker... until it was the last one and then
15 suddenly it went live without proper upgrade documentation, or that's the
16 way it seemed from here, anyway. The fact that we had essentially no doc-
17 project to work on the documentation was unfortunately a problem, the one
18 guy still trying to hang on in docs so backlogged and burnt out that it
19 was about hopeless, action time stretching toward infinity, but swift
20 coming back on board dramatically improved that situation so at least it
21 shouldn't be an infinity blocker, now.
22
23 But really what that means is that whoever ends up taking charge of that
24 final push, needs to be prepared to learn gentoo's docs CSS definitions
25 and do it themself, if it comes to that.
26
27 Meanwhile, the positive takeaway from the openrc stabilization is that
28 someone suitably determined, along with council backing and everyone else
29 rowing the same way where their little part of gentoo comes into contact
30 with the job at hand, goes a long way!
31
32 Of course, there's a much larger infra component to the git migration, so
33 either having that someone being an infra person, or at least having
34 someone from infra have the time and be willing to work closely with
35 them, is going to be critical. But again, given a council "*priority*,
36 let's move on it!" decision, I'd at least /hope/ that's not a blocker.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman