From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 07:42:26
1 On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:15:58 AM CEST, Richard Yao wrote:
2 >> On Apr 4, 2016, at 9:19 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> All,
5 >>
6 >> I thought that since the usr merge is coming up again, and since I lost
7 >> track of the message where it was brought up, I would open a
8 >> new thread to discuss it. ...
9 >
10 > Here are the violations:
11 >
12 > http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.html#binEssentialUserCommandBinaries
13 >
14 > http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.html#sbinSystemBinaries
15 >
16 > http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.html#libEssentialSharedLibrariesAndKern
19 well, those are not violations: fhs mandates a certain set of binaries in
20 those paths; this is still the case with a usr-merged system.
21
22 i thought the symlinks would be a problem, but fhs states:
23 > The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, are required in /.
24
25 so, really, i dont see any violation there
28 >> I don't think creating usr merged stages would be that difficult. I
29 >> think it would just be a matter of creating a new version of baselayout
30 >> that puts these symlinks in place:
31 >>
32 >> /bin->usr/bin
33 >> /lib->usr/lib ...
34 >
35 > We will have users whose system configurations rely on the FHS
36 > complain about us breaking boot if we force this.
39 i dont think anybody is talking about forcing this
42 >> I put some thought also in how to nigrate live systems, and I'm not sure
43 >> what the best way to do that is. I wrote a script, which would do it in
44 >> theory, but I haven't tested because I only have one system and if
45 >> it breaks it the only way back would be to reinstall.
46 >>
47 >> The script is attached.
50 >> Thoughts on any of this?
53 > This was invented in Solaris and copied by RHEL. The upgrade
54 > path for the /usr merge on those systems is a complete
55 > reinstall. Upgrading from RHEL6 to RHEL7 this Solaris 10 to
56 > Solaris 11 is not supported. The reason being that there are
57 > ways of configuring the system boot process with the original
58 > layout that break if you try using scripts to migrate to the new
59 > one. A USE flag for the /usr merge that is off by default would
60 > allow us to have both worlds without putting any systems at
61 > risk.
62
63 that's what i'm actually more worried about: the fact they failed to have a
64 proper upgrade path doesnt mean it is impossible, just that it is not easy.
65
66 only being able to propose usr-merge for new installs makes it useless for
67 gentoo imho: i, for once, use only 1 gentoo install for the lifetime of my
68 / disk...
71 note that being able to properly migrate is a *requirement* for having it
72 as a useflag
73
74 > If others are not willing to be advocates for those users that
75 > would only make themselves known after an a fundamental change
76 > has been made and people are determined to go ahead with this, I
77 > suggest having and testing a plan for backing out the change
78 > should the backlash from users after systems break be more than
79 > people can stomach. This is not the sort of change we should
80 > make without an "exit strategy".
83 ironing out that kind of strategy is the point of this thread :)
84
85 Alexis.