From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 08:55:36
1 On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:42:04 +0200
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > This was invented in Solaris and copied by RHEL. The upgrade
5 > > path for the /usr merge on those systems is a complete
6 > > reinstall. Upgrading from RHEL6 to RHEL7 this Solaris 10 to
7 > > Solaris 11 is not supported. The reason being that there are
8 > > ways of configuring the system boot process with the original
9 > > layout that break if you try using scripts to migrate to the new
10 > > one. A USE flag for the /usr merge that is off by default would
11 > > allow us to have both worlds without putting any systems at
12 > > risk.
13 >
14 > that's what i'm actually more worried about: the fact they failed to
15 > have a proper upgrade path doesnt mean it is impossible, just that it
16 > is not easy.
17
18 What about Fedora? This system I'm on now started as Fedora 16 and has
19 been upgraded step by step to 23. /bin, /lib, /lib64, and /sbin are
20 symlinks but I'm pretty sure it didn't start out that way. I knew the
21 change was coming but when it actually happened, I didn't notice for
22 quite a while.
25 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
26 Gentoo Linux Developer