From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Council Reminder for August 7
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:27:00
1 On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 21:14:44 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > Has any tracking been done on the tree as it currently exists such
4 > that an estimate of the number of such bugs expected can be made?
5 > Surely, while thinking about making a commitment to the statement
6 > above, the number of bugs it's going to trigger is apropos.
7
8 The only tracking that's done currently, and the only tracking we can
9 really work out how to do, is "stuff that breaks with Paludis". And
10 that doesn't get everything, because quite a few of the flukes in how
11 Paludis behaves are similar to some of the flukes in how Portage
12 behaves.
13
14 Some things we can validate easily -- for example, we can check that
15 depend strings parse using a strictly PMS-enforcing parser. But for
16 weird quirks that make EAPI 0 so difficult to pin down, there's not
17 much that can be done.
20 Ciaran McCreesh