From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The state and future of the OpenRC project
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 20:58:17
1 On 06/07/14 16:35, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 06/07/2014 01:19 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
3 >> Hello developers and users
4 >>
5 >> The OpenRC project appears less active these days than it used to be.
6 >>
7 >> There are many commits per month the last years, but the amount of
8 >> commits in 2014 per month has noticeably decreased to a crawl [1].
9 >> Alongside that, there appears to be around ~100 bugs open for OpenRC
10 >> [2] on Gentoo Bugzilla; some of which are left without a response.
11 >>
12 >> This gives the impression that the development of it is slowing down.
13 >>
14 >> Worth noting is that WilliamH recently had problems with his system, we
15 >> have since not seen him on IRC for almost a month; so, this can for a
16 >> part explain the last month of inactivity. Although the other months of
17 >> 2014 and even 2013 to some extent show a decreasing trend.
18 >>
19 >> The state and future of the OpenRC project could be of concern.
20 >>
21 >> Therefore this call for general awareness; such that people that are
22 >> interested in this project can help, discuss measures to help the users
23 >> of these bugs as well as ensure the future of the OpenRC project.
24 >>
25 >> Thank you in advance.
28 >> [1]: Short log of proj/openrc history, decreasing commits in 2014.
29 >> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/openrc.git;a=shortlog
30 >>
31 >> [2]: Overview of bugs that involve OpenRC, most for the package itself.
32 >> https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=openrc
35 >> Disclaimer: Just to be sure, I'm not affiliated with the OpenRC project.
36 >>
37 > As someone who's been in the process of trying to become a developer and
38 > someone who believes there should be multiple init systems, I'd like to
39 > step forward and offer my assistance. pchrist was originally my mentor,
40 > but unforeseen circumstances came up and he's become mostly unable to
41 > mentor me. We discussed this and agreed that maybe I should find another
42 > developer to mentor me. I think working on OpenRC would be a great
43 > learning experience for me and would be a great opportunity to
44 > contribute to Gentoo.
45 >
46 > If you or another developer would like to take up mentoring me so I can
47 > achieve my goal of becoming a Gentoo developer and contribute, please
48 > reply and cc pchrist@g.o so we can coordinate things. I still have my
49 > ebuild test file floating around as well.
50 >
51 > I hope this doesn't come off as spammy; I'd honestly like to contribute
52 > and keep choice alive in the init system space.
53 >
54 > Sincerely,
55 >
56 > Daniel Campbell
59 Related to this, I'd like to take care of sys-apps/gentoo-functions in
60 WilliamH's absence. There's a couple of items to fix and I'd like to
61 get them done. Any objections?
64 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
65 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
66 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
67 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
68 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA