From: Daniel Campbell <contact@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The state and future of the OpenRC project
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 20:35:11
1 On 06/07/2014 01:19 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > Hello developers and users
3 >
4 > The OpenRC project appears less active these days than it used to be.
5 >
6 > There are many commits per month the last years, but the amount of
7 > commits in 2014 per month has noticeably decreased to a crawl [1].
8 > Alongside that, there appears to be around ~100 bugs open for OpenRC
9 > [2] on Gentoo Bugzilla; some of which are left without a response.
10 >
11 > This gives the impression that the development of it is slowing down.
12 >
13 > Worth noting is that WilliamH recently had problems with his system, we
14 > have since not seen him on IRC for almost a month; so, this can for a
15 > part explain the last month of inactivity. Although the other months of
16 > 2014 and even 2013 to some extent show a decreasing trend.
17 >
18 > The state and future of the OpenRC project could be of concern.
19 >
20 > Therefore this call for general awareness; such that people that are
21 > interested in this project can help, discuss measures to help the users
22 > of these bugs as well as ensure the future of the OpenRC project.
23 >
24 > Thank you in advance.
27 > [1]: Short log of proj/openrc history, decreasing commits in 2014.
28 > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/openrc.git;a=shortlog
29 >
30 > [2]: Overview of bugs that involve OpenRC, most for the package itself.
31 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=openrc
34 > Disclaimer: Just to be sure, I'm not affiliated with the OpenRC project.
37 As someone who's been in the process of trying to become a developer and
38 someone who believes there should be multiple init systems, I'd like to
39 step forward and offer my assistance. pchrist was originally my mentor,
40 but unforeseen circumstances came up and he's become mostly unable to
41 mentor me. We discussed this and agreed that maybe I should find another
42 developer to mentor me. I think working on OpenRC would be a great
43 learning experience for me and would be a great opportunity to
44 contribute to Gentoo.
45
46 If you or another developer would like to take up mentoring me so I can
47 achieve my goal of becoming a Gentoo developer and contribute, please
48 reply and cc pchrist@g.o so we can coordinate things. I still have my
49 ebuild test file floating around as well.
50
51 I hope this doesn't come off as spammy; I'd honestly like to contribute
52 and keep choice alive in the init system space.
53
54 Sincerely,
55
56 Daniel Campbell