From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Local workarounds with no reported bugs
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 13:19:52
1 On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Changing the status quo may require some adjustment though, but I suppose we
4 > could start by openly documenting a bug if we find a workaround that does
5 > not already have a bug number associated with it. I've seen several ebuilds
6 > where workarounds are applied, but the workaround also has a bug number in
7 > the comment.
8
9 The other side of this is being approachable so that people don't feel
10 like they're about to demonstrate their incompetence by filing a bug.
11 FOSS tends to be a meritocracy, and I think people sometimes work in
12 their own little corner because they're afraid of being shamed for not
13 "getting it." In reality having mistakes exposed shouldn't be
14 unpleasant, and we should be able to use it to grow.
15
16 I can see how a new developer might be reluctant to suggest that some
17 very experienced developer has made a mistake in an eclass. Of
18 course, that doesn't make this OK. We should be speaking up when we
19 see mistakes, and we should be gracious both when our mistakes are
20 pointed out or somebody doing so has made a mistake themselves.
23 Rich