From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for March
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 12:34:27
1 George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > The good thing about this approach is that it only requires an initial
3 > investment of organizing and automating things but does not add any regular
4 > work to the devs. In fact, if the "tested" category becomes popular enough,
5 > it can cut the work for stable testers, may be even by something like a
6 > factor of 10 eventually (due to less requests for explicit stabilizaion being
7 > issued)..
10 We might also aim to make it easy for users to mix-and-match levels of
11 stability by package. I know it is possible already, but perhaps it
12 could be improved, or pre-canned lists of packages that users might
13 typically want bleeding-edge vs stable could be compiled.
14
15 I think there are a large number of users who wouldn't mind less
16 stability on packages that won't prevent booting or network-access or
17 general use of their system. If some nice-to-have utility breaks I
18 don't mind reverting it, but if baselayout goes haywire I could spend
19 hours just getting my system to boot.
20
21 I like your idea though.
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list