From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for March
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:56:30
1 Sunday, 2. March 2008, Richard Freeman Ви написали:
2 > George Shapovalov wrote:
3 > > The good thing about this approach is that it only requires an initial
4 > > investment of organizing and automating things but does not add any
5 > > regular work to the devs. In fact, if the "tested" category becomes
6 > > popular enough, it can cut the work for stable testers, may be even by
7 > > something like a factor of 10 eventually (due to less requests for
8 > > explicit stabilizaion being issued)..
9 >
10 > We might also aim to make it easy for users to mix-and-match levels of
11 > stability by package. I know it is possible already, but perhaps it
12 > could be improved, or pre-canned lists of packages that users might
13 > typically want bleeding-edge vs stable could be compiled.
14 Well, we already have "system set" and it is defined in profile. With users
15 being able to define and use their own profiles all that is left to do is to
16 add an ability by portage to use different stability settings for system and
17 out-of-system packages, as the most trivial approach. Of course more complex
18 combinations are possible, but would require a proper discussion.
19
20 > I think there are a large number of users who wouldn't mind less
21 > stability on packages that won't prevent booting or network-access or
22 > general use of their system. If some nice-to-have utility breaks I
23 > don't mind reverting it, but if baselayout goes haywire I could spend
24 > hours just getting my system to boot.
25 Exactly. I did not mention this in order not to overcomplicate my previous
26 message, but this is one of the things I had in ming for a long time. Besides
27
28 > I like your idea though.
29 Thanks! Although it is somewhat strange to hear "idea" when it has been
30 an "old news" :) (at least for me), just check the timing of that bug I
31 mentioned above. I merely adapted one of the not-yet-implemented issues
32 discussed there to the present situation.
33
34 Oh, btw, these two issues (extra stability levels and separate stability
35 rankings for groups of packages) are independant enough to make it possible
36 to implement them separately.
37
38 George
39 --