From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: David Holm <dholm@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentoo approach)"
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:28:55
1 On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 16:24, David Holm wrote:
2 > If they really wanted to test the speed why didn't they use more aggressive compiler flags?
3 >
4 > I think it should be investigated which packages could be compiled by icc since
5 > intel are now providing it for free for non-commercial use. I did some tests with it and
6 > whetstone (classic fpu benchmark from the 1970's) doubled in speed compared to gcc on a P4, and
7 > it was about 75% faster on an Athlon-XP. Now float-point isn't everything but from my experience
8 > icc generally produces better optimized code than gcc unless the application has been hand-tuned
9 > (like mplayer).
10 > I tried installing gentoo with CC=icc once but I had problems with many ebuilds so I dropped
11 > that idea. At the moment extremely few ebuilds support icc.
14 Just realized that they are using march=pentium3, whereas celeron is a pentium2 (cf /etc/make.conf !).
15 the use of march can really slow down the machine I think...
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list