From: David Holm <dholm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentoo approach)"
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:26:05
1 If they really wanted to test the speed why didn't they use more aggressive compiler flags?
2
3 I think it should be investigated which packages could be compiled by icc since
4 intel are now providing it for free for non-commercial use. I did some tests with it and
5 whetstone (classic fpu benchmark from the 1970's) doubled in speed compared to gcc on a P4, and
6 it was about 75% faster on an Athlon-XP. Now float-point isn't everything but from my experience
7 icc generally produces better optimized code than gcc unless the application has been hand-tuned
8 (like mplayer).
9 I tried installing gentoo with CC=icc once but I had problems with many ebuilds so I dropped
10 that idea. At the moment extremely few ebuilds support icc.
11
12 //David Holm
13
14 On 13 Aug 2003 15:38:21 +0200