From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: David Holm <dholm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentoo approach)"
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:00:07
1 On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 04:24:32PM +0200, David Holm wrote:
2 > If they really wanted to test the speed why didn't they use more aggressive compiler flags?
3 >
4 > I think it should be investigated which packages could be compiled by icc since
5 > intel are now providing it for free for non-commercial use. I did some tests with it and
6 > whetstone (classic fpu benchmark from the 1970's) doubled in speed compared to gcc on a P4, and
7 > it was about 75% faster on an Athlon-XP. Now float-point isn't everything but from my experience
8 > icc generally produces better optimized code than gcc unless the application has been hand-tuned
9 > (like mplayer).
10 > I tried installing gentoo with CC=icc once but I had problems with many ebuilds so I dropped
11 > that idea. At the moment extremely few ebuilds support icc.
14 That's because there's no reason each and every ebuild needs to have
15 something changed when most of the time 'supporting icc' is just a
16 matter of altering the usual environment variables...
17
18 At the moment Zadeh and einride are working on ICC integration. einride
19 has some excellent ideas about Portage integration, so hopefully that'll
20 get us somewhere.
23 Jon Portnoy
24 avenj/irc.freenode.net
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list