From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:26:25
1 On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 23:52 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Packages are grouped into herds, which are managed by projects. If a
3 > package doesn't belong to a herd, then it doesn't belong to the project, and
4 > other developers are free to take ownership of the package and include it
5 > into the tree.
6
7 Umm... pretty much all of these packages would belong to a herd. In
8 fact, I haven't seen a single package added to bugzilla that *doesn't*
9 belong to some herd. Just because the maintaining *project* doesn't
10 want it doesn't mean it doesn't belong to that herd.
11
12 > A great example of this are web-based applications. The web-apps project
13 > does not own all the web-based packages in the Portage tree. There are many
14 > such packages in the tree that are managed by developers that are not part
15 > of the project. The web-apps project gets to decide what happens to the
16 > packages grouped in the web-apps herd, but we neither have the right (nor
17 > the desire) to tell other developers that they can't add web-based packages
18 > to the tree; nor do other developers require our permission before adding
19 > packages to the tree.
20
21 Again, you are confusing herds and projects.
22
23 Here's another example of it done correctly. If you add a game to the
24 tree, the herd should be listed as games. Period. Even if you are
25 going to be the sole maintainer of the package, games should be the
26 herd. Why? Because it is a game, silly.
27
28 There are quite a few packages under games-* that are completely
29 maintained by someone not on the games team, which means it is not
30 maintained by the games project. That doesn't change the fact that it
31 is a game, and belongs in the games herd.
32
33 Herd == grouping of packages
34 Project == team of people
35
36 > What they _do_ need is our permission before dumping packages into the
37 > web-apps herd. If a developer doesn't want a package in our herd, then he
38 > doesn't need our permission to add the package into the tree.
39
40 That simply seems a bit backwards from the idea of a herd being a
41 logical grouping of packages. You've simply removed logic from the
42 equation and replaced it with permission.
43
44 > That said, there obviously has to been a level of pragmatism. If a project
45 > recommends that a package doesn't belong in the tree because it is dangerous
46 > to users, then it would be irresponsible of developers to go against this
47 > advice without good reason.
48 >
49 > But otherwise, if you don't want a package in your project, it's no longer
50 > your package to make decisions about. You've declined stewardship of the
51 > package, leaving others free to take on the package instead if they wish.
52
53 Except I'm not arguing about abandoned packages. I'm arguing about
54 things like kernel sources, that proponents of sunrise say should be in
55 the overlay, even after the kernel team says that it should *never* go
56 into the tree. In this case, the sunrise proponents are explicitly
57 wanting to go against the wishes of the project. This is not and can
58 not be acceptable, as it damages the *project* in question. Remember
59 that people will *always* associate the kernel project with any kernels
60 we provide, even if we put a big fat warning label on it. Warning
61 labels don't accomplish much with some users.
62
63 > | Please people, be sure you're actually commenting on the issues at hand,
64 > | rather than just adding noise.
65 >
66 > Is that really fair? What's noise to you isn't noise to everyone else.
67
68 It sure is fair. So much so that mcummings even spoke with me and
69 apologized because he hadn't read what I had said correctly. What he
70 said *was* absolutely correct, in the context to which he was writing.
71 However, it didn't add anything to *this* context, since it was out of
72 context and off-topic. That is pretty much the definition of what noise
73 on a mailing list is. ;]
76 Chris Gianelloni
77 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
78 x86 Architecture Team