From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:23:05
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Here's another example of it done correctly. If you add a game to the
3 > tree, the herd should be listed as games. Period. Even if you are
4 > going to be the sole maintainer of the package, games should be the
5 > herd. Why? Because it is a game, silly.
6
7 There _is_ no requirement that a package must belong to a herd. It's very
8 good advice, and it's good for Gentoo, but it's _not_ a requirement. I'm
9 sorry, but I think in this case what you are asserting isn't correct.
10
11 Why does this matter? Why am I bringing this up? You are asking for the
12 ability to 'opt out' of Project Sunrise, to decide that certain types of
13 packages are not added to the Project Sunrise overlay; specifically, that
14 games are not added to the Sunrise overlay.
15
16 As I understand it, and I apologise if I'm wrong, these are packages that
17 you (and your project) do not maintain at the moment - if you did, they
18 would be in the tree. You have already strongly asserted in this thread how
19 you feel about things needing to be in the tree.
20
21 When I say I don't believe, I mean that I'm not aware of any Gentoo rule
22 giving project leads any such dominion.I don't believe being the lead of any
23 project (be it games, webapps, or anything else) gives _anyone_ the
24 automatic right to suppress packages that you're not going to maintain -
25 subject to the due diligence about dangerous packages and unmaintained
26 packages that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I believe that this is a
27 right that you are claiming for yourself; I'm sure you're doing so with good
28 intentions.
29
30 You've raised a lot of valid concerns about the plans of Project Sunrise,
31 but here I think you're asking for too much, by trying to assert dominion
32 over what simply isn't yours to control.
33
34 It's reasonable (and existing Gentoo practice) to say "hands off - we
35 maintain that package".
36
37 Saying "hands off, but we are not going to maintain that package either" ...
38 it may be good for you, but I can't see how it's good for Gentoo - unless
39 the package is dangerous.
40
41 Best regards,
42 Stu
43 --
44 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
45 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
46 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
47
48 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
49 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C