From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:43:09
1 On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 20:15 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > Here's another example of it done correctly. If you add a game to the
4 > > tree, the herd should be listed as games. Period. Even if you are
5 > > going to be the sole maintainer of the package, games should be the
6 > > herd. Why? Because it is a game, silly.
7 >
8 > There _is_ no requirement that a package must belong to a herd. It's very
9 > good advice, and it's good for Gentoo, but it's _not_ a requirement. I'm
10 > sorry, but I think in this case what you are asserting isn't correct.
11
12 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/#doc_chap4
13
14 Specifically the listing for the herd tag.
15
16 Just because people are doing things *wrong* doesn't mean that there
17 isn't a defined manner in which things should be done.
18
19 > When I say I don't believe, I mean that I'm not aware of any Gentoo rule
20 > giving project leads any such dominion.I don't believe being the lead of any
21 > project (be it games, webapps, or anything else) gives _anyone_ the
22 > automatic right to suppress packages that you're not going to maintain -
23 > subject to the due diligence about dangerous packages and unmaintained
24 > packages that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I believe that this is a
25 > right that you are claiming for yourself; I'm sure you're doing so with good
26 > intentions.
27
28 Here's where you start making wild assumptions. Who ever said that we
29 don't intend on maintaining *every* ebuild that gets submitted to us?
30
31 You are starting to put words into my mouth and making claims that I'm
32 not making. Stop.
33
34 > You've raised a lot of valid concerns about the plans of Project Sunrise,
35 > but here I think you're asking for too much, by trying to assert dominion
36 > over what simply isn't yours to control.
37
38 The bugs is assigned to the games team.
39
40 Should I go and simply ACCEPT every single bug assigned to games in
41 bugzilla, including all of the bug spam that will be caused by it, just
42 to show that we *have* accepted these bugs, and are simply working
43 through them at our own pace?
44
45 > It's reasonable (and existing Gentoo practice) to say "hands off - we
46 > maintain that package".
47
48 Correct.
49
50 > Saying "hands off, but we are not going to maintain that package either" ...
51 > it may be good for you, but I can't see how it's good for Gentoo - unless
52 > the package is dangerous.
53
54 I never said this. Please don't try to use things that I never said as
55 an argument, especially putting them in quotes, as if to quote me.
56 You'll only serve to piss me off.
59 Chris Gianelloni
60 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
61 x86 Architecture Team