From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A heretical thought? Blessing project sunrise as an almost-fork.
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:11:59
1 On 6/14/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/#doc_chap4
3 >
4 > Specifically the listing for the herd tag.
5 >
6 > Just because people are doing things *wrong* doesn't mean that there
7 > isn't a defined manner in which things should be done.
8
9 >From the document you've referenced:
10
11 "The metadata.xml file has as its purpose to give extra information
12 about ebuilds. The metadata.xml file should exist in every package
13 directory. A skel file can be found as skel.metadata.xml in the
14 portage tree."
15
16 That clearly doesn't say that every package _requires_ a metadata.xml
17 file. The word used is "should", not "must". Also:
18
19 "<herd> There must at least be one herd subtag. The contents of this
20 tag should be the name of be a herd as specified in the herds.xml
21 file. It must occur at least once. "
22
23 Again, the word used is "should", and not "must".
24
25 I'm sorry, but I do feel that your interpretation of the rules, on
26 this point, isn't quite right. There _is_ no requirement that games
27 added to the tree _have_ to be put into the games herd - just like
28 there's no requirement that all web-based apps _have_ to be put into
29 the webapps herd.
30
31 Also, see Solar's post in this thread confirming what I'm saying.
32
33 > The bugs is assigned to the games team.
34 >
35 > Should I go and simply ACCEPT every single bug assigned to games in
36 > bugzilla, including all of the bug spam that will be caused by it, just
37 > to show that we *have* accepted these bugs, and are simply working
38 > through them at our own pace?
39
40 Yes, that would be sufficient. That shows that the package is yours,
41 and then the usual rule (that other developers should not mess with
42 your packages) would then apply. That would be in keeping with how
43 Gentoo does things, and would remove the need for you to request that
44 there's a per-team opt-out clause in Project Sunrise.
45
46 It would also leave Project Sunrise (_if_ the Council decides that it
47 can go ahead) free to pick up any packages that end up in the
48 maintainer-wanted bucket, regardless of what type of package that is.
49
50 > You'll only serve to piss me off.
51
52 To refer once again to what you like to tell others, maybe you need to
53 grow a thicker skin? ;-)
54
55 In all seriousness, you're one of the two lead complainants about
56 Project Sunrise. You've raised a number of points about Sunrise that
57 need debating; you were right to do so, and I don't think anyone feels
58 that they shouldn't have been raised.
59
60 If you're not going to participate in a debate about those concerns
61 without throwing your toys out of the pram, it undermines the
62 complaint that you're making. That's plain enough to see by looking
63 at the reaction elsewhere in these threads to some of the postings
64 from the Sunrise project team, where they've behaved like that.
65
66 Best regards,
67 Stu
68 --