From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retiring
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 13:51:05
1 Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > Even a "volunteer-driven" organization needs some "standard" rules in order to
3 > survive. From time to time this "volunteer" moto is what some people consider
4 > as "anarchy"
7 As far as survival goes - I think the rumors of Gentoo's death are
8 greatly exaggerated. I certainly agree that we need standards, but as
9 far as I can tell those exist.
10
11 I'm not exactly sure what the actual problem is. What resolvable issue
12 is directly impacting the Gentoo community, and how would things
13 actually be better if that issue didn't exist? What is the itch that
14 needs scratching?
15
16 I don't see developers putting QA violations into the portage tree left
17 and right. For the most part I'd say the level of abuse in bugzilla is
18 down and continues to trend down. Sure, manpower is limited, but the
19 solution to that isn't to tell the people who are here to "work harder
20 or quit" (which means quit) but instead to recruit more help. Arch
21 teams seem to be generally doing a good job keeping up with STABLEREQs
22 on the major archs - if you use a minor arch that isn't as well
23 supported I'm sure we'd be happy to have more help.
24
25 Is the issue anarchy, or the bazaar model in general? You can't always
26 have it both ways...