From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: curtis119@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, trustees@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paid support
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 03:20:35
1 Curtis Napier wrote:
2 > Giving ad space to our sponsors is legal for us to do as a Not For
3 > Profit because they are donating goods and/or services to us.
4 > Technically we are not giving them "ads", we are acknowledging the
5 > donated goods and/or services. Just like PBS does at the beginning of
6 > it's shows, they aren't ads but acknowledgments of donations.
7 >
8 > Basically I just want to make sure that we are not breaking any of the
9 > rules of being a Not For Profit foundation. The IRS doesn't accept "We
10 > didn't know any better" as an excuse when they come knocking on our door
11 > to re-evaluate our Not For Profit status because we are giving free
12 > advertising to people who *ARE* being paid in a For Profit manner.
13
14 You just made my point. THEY are being paid, not Gentoo. Gentoo receives
15 no financial support from this, and Gentoo is not offering goods or
16 services in return for money.
17
18 Thanks,
19 Donnie