From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: justin <jlec@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: FEATURES="binchecks strip" for plain file packages e.g. latex, perl, python
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 19:24:30
1 As Michał said.
2
3 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
4 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
7 On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8
9 > Dnia 2013-09-20, o godz. 19:58:51
10 > "Justin (jlec)" <jlec@g.o> napisał(a):
11 >
12 > > what is your opinion to set
13 > >
14 > > FEATURES="binchecks strip"
15 > >
16 > > for all those packages which purely install files. For example python
17 > > package only installing scripts, or perl packages or latex. There might
18 > > be more.
19 >
20 > Not worth the effort, and definitely not worth the confusion it will
21 > introduce (why there's FEATURES=strip here? does it install weird
22 > executables under some circumstances? did it so in the past and someone
23 > forgot to drop it?).
24 >
25 > In other words, it's awful overuse of RESTRICT for pseudo-optimization.
26 > RESTRICT is to restrict features when the package can't handle it. It's
27 > not for skipping no-ops in the name of supposed performance gain.
28 >
29 > If you really want to play like this, show us some benchmarks. Prove
30 > that it gains anything. Because as far as I can see, this is nowhere
31 > near a bottleneck for ebuild installs. Unless you can prove it's a real
32 > gain, a strong 'don't do it' from me.
33 >
34 > --
35 > Best regards,
36 > Michał Górny