From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: jlec@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: FEATURES="binchecks strip" for plain file packages e.g. latex, perl, python
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 19:14:42
1 Dnia 2013-09-20, o godz. 19:58:51
2 "Justin (jlec)" <jlec@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > what is your opinion to set
5 >
6 > FEATURES="binchecks strip"
7 >
8 > for all those packages which purely install files. For example python
9 > package only installing scripts, or perl packages or latex. There might
10 > be more.
11
12 Not worth the effort, and definitely not worth the confusion it will
13 introduce (why there's FEATURES=strip here? does it install weird
14 executables under some circumstances? did it so in the past and someone
15 forgot to drop it?).
16
17 In other words, it's awful overuse of RESTRICT for pseudo-optimization.
18 RESTRICT is to restrict features when the package can't handle it. It's
19 not for skipping no-ops in the name of supposed performance gain.
20
21 If you really want to play like this, show us some benchmarks. Prove
22 that it gains anything. Because as far as I can see, this is nowhere
23 near a bottleneck for ebuild installs. Unless you can prove it's a real
24 gain, a strong 'don't do it' from me.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny