From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Any official position from Gentoo about systemd, mdev and udev-static ?
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:38:35
1 On 08/28/2012 05:35 PM, Sylvain Alain wrote:
2 > Hi everyone, I don't want to start a flamewar on that subject, but I would
3 > like to know if there's any official position about the current situation.
4
5 udev might or might not eventually get forked to avoid systemd
6 borg-approach.
7
8 mdev works fine for a number of people and they are working on getting
9 better support for it even if some guys sometimes try to stomp over them
10 for silly reasons.
11
12 openrc during the summer got new features developed both for prefix
13 users and for general public hopefully will get merged soon.
14
15 The consensus is trying to support what makes sense of systemd and let
16 people use it if they really want but not force it upon people happy or
17 needing openrc.
18
19 Beside that you have drama since there are strong opinions on how broken
20 systemd is or how cool it is.
21
22 > I saw on the forum this thread :
23 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934678-highlight-.html and maybe it
24 > could be part of a solution to have OpenRC and udev together.
25 >
26 > So, is there any developments lately ?
27
28 Lots =)
29
30 lu