From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Any official position from Gentoo about systemd, mdev and udev-static ?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 05:07:30
1 On 29 August 2012 01:36, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/28/2012 05:35 PM, Sylvain Alain wrote:
3 >> Hi everyone, I don't want to start a flamewar on that subject, but I would
4 >> like to know if there's any official position about the current situation.
5 >
6 > udev might or might not eventually get forked to avoid systemd
7 > borg-approach.
8 >
9 > mdev works fine for a number of people and they are working on getting
10 > better support for it even if some guys sometimes try to stomp over them
11 > for silly reasons.
12 >
13 > openrc during the summer got new features developed both for prefix
14 > users and for general public hopefully will get merged soon.
15 >
16 > The consensus is trying to support what makes sense of systemd and let
17 > people use it if they really want but not force it upon people happy or
18 > needing openrc.
19 >
20 > Beside that you have drama since there are strong opinions on how broken
21 > systemd is or how cool it is.
22 >
23 >> I saw on the forum this thread :
24 >> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934678-highlight-.html and maybe it
25 >> could be part of a solution to have OpenRC and udev together.
26 >>
27 >> So, is there any developments lately ?
28 >
29 > Lots =)
30 >
31 > lu
34 I think this is a fairly good overview of the current situation.
35
36 The way I see it:
37
38 Gentoo defaults to OpenRC and stand-alone udev. This is not going to
39 change any time soon.
40
41 Because some developers think systemd is a worthwhile alternative,
42 they are making it possible for Gentoo users to switch to using this
43 if they want to. Gentoo is about choice, after all.
44
45 But there is also strong opposition towards systemd and the "our way
46 or no way" attitude of its core developers, so it is unlikely Gentoo
47 will adopt systemd. It would be too controversial and lead to a rift
48 in the developer community.
49
50 For now udev is still usable without systemd, even tho upstream is
51 making it difficult to build udev separately (and avoid unnecessary
52 build-time dependencies). Upstream is also unwilling to work with us
53 to make this easier.
54
55 Despite upstream promises that udev will remain usable stand-alone,
56 there is a lot of skepticism towards that. So we may find ourselves
57 faced with the need to use a fork or a replacement for udev.
58
59 Right now the situation is in flux, so we are basically waiting to see
60 how things will develop.
61 --
62 Cheers,
63
64 Ben | yngwin
65 Gentoo developer
66 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin