From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'mad' vs 'mp3' USE flags
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:56:02
1 On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 16:20 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > Per-package use.mask is not here for another year and in the mean time I
3 > needed a working solution, this is it.
4
5 While it is a "working" solution, it isn't necessarily a sensible one.
6
7 If the package only uses libmad, and libmad doesn't work on $platform,
8 then why not simply disable mp3 support on that platform until libmad is
9 fixed? Why *force* people to use USE="mp3 mad" on a platform where it
10 *does* work?
11
12 > I would also say that it helps not to overload the same useflag with different
13 > meanings, as we already seen a couple of times where v4l and v4l2 useflags
14 > are better to be two different things, ibidem for qt3/qt4.
15
16 It isn't overloading it, at all.
17
18 USE="mp3" means "I want mp3 support" and not "I want mp3 support unless
19 it happens to use libmad in which case I also need to add mad to my
20 USE."
21
22 Seriously, if the mp3 support via libmad doesn't work on a platform,
23 drop it. Don't make everyone else jump through hoops because a few
24 platforms don't support it.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
29 x86 Architecture Team