From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 01:35:28
1 On Mon, 2014-07-21 at 22:56 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Yes, it does. I'm not sure if it leads anywhere, though. Dynamic deps
3 > are a pipe dream. You can't implement them properly, so we're using
4 > half-working implementation as an excuse to be lazy.
5
6 Why not adapt the updates mechanism for modifying rdepends? Perhaps
7 something like
8
9 rdepends-add foo-bar/blah-3.14 "wombat? ( >=dev-libs/wombat-1.0 )"
10
11 This would give the package manager all the benefits of static dep
12 resolution while allowing us to dynamically make simple changes (like
13 adding a missing dependency to an ebuild) without forcing users to
14 rebuild the package.