From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 20:56:41
1 Dnia 2014-07-21, o godz. 21:53:04
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > Am Montag, 21. Juli 2014, 21:37:17 schrieb hasufell:
5 > > afaiu dynamic deps are broken and not defined in PMS
6 > >
7 > > still... people seem to fix deps without revbumping, causing users who
8 > > either don't use dynamic deps (it's optional for portage through
9 > > --dynamic-deps=y, although it's on by default) or who use a different PM
10 > > to not get the fix, at worst resulting in broken dependency calculation
11 > >
12 > > suggestion:
13 > > * stop fixing dependencies without revbumping
14 > > * add an appropriate question to the dev quiz
15 > > * remove dynamic deps from portage (afair that is already considered by
16 > > the portage team)
17 >
18 > Actually the quizzes are pretty much clear on that.
19 >
20 > Revision must be bumped when the on-disk files installed by the ebuild are
21 > changed.
22 > Nothing about dependencies.
23 >
24 > This has been policy for a LONG time, and we're not going to change it
25 > overnight just because you protest.
26
27 This is not an argument. Just because we're doing things wrong for
28 a very long time doesn't mean we have to keep doing that. Especially
29 now that the breakage is getting much more visible with spread of
30 EAPI=5 and subslots.
31
32 > Now... whether dynamic deps are technically the right thing to do is another
33 > question. It merits discussion, but we need to be really sure about the
34 > consequences of any change.
35
36 Yes, it does. I'm not sure if it leads anywhere, though. Dynamic deps
37 are a pipe dream. You can't implement them properly, so we're using
38 half-working implementation as an excuse to be lazy.
39
40 Of course, the problem is that many developers just assume how dynamic
41 deps work. They don't know the details, they don't test it. They just
42 say 'I need not to revbump because dynamic-deps!' Then stuff breaks
43 because dynamic deps don't work. Or sometimes because they actually
44 work and the developer didn't think of them. Or sometimes because they
45 randomly start and stop working depending on the phase of the moon.
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny