From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: dev-lang/v8 SONAME
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:05:15
1 Il giorno mer, 27/10/2010 alle 12.49 +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." ha
2 scritto:
3 > Some context first. Upstream does not promise any binary compatibility
4 > between releases, so each version has a different SONAME, if any.
5
6 That's a good approach (although a bothersome for its users)..
7
8 > Currently dev-lang/v8 does not use SONAME (I think that's the default),
9 > because I'm not sure what's the best way to handle it.
10
11 That's bad, it _has_ to have a SONAME, otherwise you're indicating that
12 al the versions have the same ABI (which as you just said is not the
13 case).
14
15 > When present, the SONAME will look like libv8-1.2.3.so, and the
16 > resulting shared library will be named the same way, i.e. libv8-1.2.3.so.
17
18 Technically, not needed, but let's move on.
19
20 > Without SONAME, it's just libv8.so, so when linking it's sufficient to
21 > pass -lv8 to the linker.
22 >
23 > With the SONAME-d library, I guess I'd need to pass -lv8-1.2.3. I was
24 > thinking about making a symlink libv8.so -> libv8-1.2.3.so, but I'm not
25 > sure if that's the right thing to do.
26
27 Okay now you're confusing the two concepts. The DT_SONAME tag has
28 nothing to do with the name on the filesystem for what concerns the link
29 editor, it's used by the dynamic loader.
30
31 The link above would be fine though, just let it link as libv8.so, and
32 then be loaded as libv8-1.2.3.so.
33
34 References:
35
36 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/10/27/a-shared-library-by-any-other-name
37 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/10/08/linkers-and-names
41 Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
42 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
43
44 If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
45 it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/