From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: dev-lang/v8 SONAME
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:03:22
1 On 10/27/10 1:05 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Il giorno mer, 27/10/2010 alle 12.49 +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." ha
3 > scritto:
4 >> Some context first. Upstream does not promise any binary compatibility
5 >> between releases, so each version has a different SONAME, if any.
6 >
7 > That's a good approach (although a bothersome for its users)..
8
9 By the way, what do you think about
10 <http://ispras.linux-foundation.org/index.php/ABI_compliance_checker> ?
11
12 >> Currently dev-lang/v8 does not use SONAME (I think that's the default),
13 >> because I'm not sure what's the best way to handle it.
14 >
15 > That's bad, it _has_ to have a SONAME, otherwise you're indicating that
16 > al the versions have the same ABI (which as you just said is not the
17 > case).
18
19 That's one of the reasons it's still hard masked.
20
21 > Okay now you're confusing the two concepts. The DT_SONAME tag has
22 > nothing to do with the name on the filesystem for what concerns the link
23 > editor, it's used by the dynamic loader.
24 >
25 > The link above would be fine though, just let it link as libv8.so, and
26 > then be loaded as libv8-1.2.3.so.
27
28 Ah, thanks! I think I understand it much better now. Bumped v8, now with
29 SONAME and a symlink. I was able to compile www-client/chromium against
30 that, and added an experimental system-v8 USE flag to it.