From: Meder Bakirov <bakirov@××××××××.kg>
To: seemant@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/portage --> /var/portage
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 07:29:47
1 On Thursday 15 January 2004 12:06, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 22:48, Meder Bakirov wrote:
3 > > Hi all!
4 > >
5 > > I just wanted to ask: can we expect, in future versions of a Gentoo
6 > > Linux, a move of /usr/portage to /var/portage as the most appropriate
7 > > place to store frequently changing portage tree?
8 > >
9 > > I guess, it (Gentoo) would then suit most admins, willing to have a
10 > > Gentoo Linux on their servers (I use Gentoo on my servers :-P). Because,
11 > > for example, in my case, I have /usr always mounted ro (read-only) in
12 > > fstab, remounting it rw (read-write) for critical updates only (when I
13 > > emerge some new apps; e.g. security updates)
14 > >
15 > > How does it intersect with FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard)?
16 > >
17 > > Thank you very much!
18 > >
19 > > With the best regards,
20 > >
21 > > Meder
24 > > --
25 > > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
26 >
27 > You can set PORTDIR to point your portage tree wherever you like.
28
29 Yes, I already do so now! :) But how about future versions of Gentoo Linux?
30 Doesn't /var suits better (by default), than /usr in case of FHS? Or is it
31 due to the BSD's fashion of storing ports in /usr/ports?
32
33 Thank you very much :)
34
35 With the best regards,