From: purslow@×××××××××.ca
To: Gentoo Devt <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/portage --> /var/portage
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:40:46
1 040115 Meder Bakirov wrote:
2 > can we expect, in future versions of a Gentoo Linux,
3 > a move of /usr/portage to /var/portage as the most appropriate place
4 > to store frequently changing portage tree?
5 > Doesn't /var suits better (by default), than /usr in case of FHS?
6 > Or is it due to the BSD's fashion of storing ports in /usr/ports?
7
8 i'ld say this is an intelligent suggestion
9 & it does look as if /portage was put in /usr following BSD's approach.
10 it's never an adequate reply to say "That's just the way we do it",
11 so shdn't this be looked at seriously by the Gentoo devt team ?
12 after all, there is some portage material in /var already.
16 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
17 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
18 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list